How this uses STEM
- Lots of STEM activities for kids focus on chemistry, but this toy looks at the body and how the eyes work- physiology!
Tierra Tips to Engage your Little Helper
- Brainstorm a list of drawings that could have two parts, things that your child likes or thinks would combine well. We have some examples listed in the instructions!
- Have them try drawing the pictures with markers, pens or pencils!
- In our tutorial, we used a straw as our round item. Can you child think of any other round items that would work?
- Something round- straw, stick, etc.
- Cardstock paper
- Cut two small or medium sized circles out of the cardstock.
- Decide what sort of animation you want to see- goldfish in a bowl, bird with a fish, dog and a bone, etc.
- Draw one piece of the picture on each cardstock circle (for example, a bowl on one circle and a goldfish on the other).
- Tape the circles to the round item, with the drawings facing outward.
- Roll the thaumatrope back and forth and watch the two drawings combine!