- Muffin/Cupcake Tin or Various Jars
- Different Solids- a couple of options are salt, sugar, baking soda, sand, dirt, etc.
- A way to tell time (stopwatch, phone, etc)
- Before you begin, make a hypothesis on which solid will cause the ice to melt the fastest!
- Add the same amount of ice (1 cube, 2 cubes etc) to each cup.
- Add the same amount of solids on top of each cup- if you use two scoops of salt on top of the ice in cup #1, then use two scoops of sugar on top of the ice in cup #2.
- Have another cup of just ice by itself- that is your control cup!
- Set your timer, and check on your ice cubes every 10 minutes! Note what you see as the time passes!
How this incorporates STEM:
Making a hypothesis is a part of the scientific process! It’s a way to predict the results and compare your thoughts to what actually happens!